12/12/08

The never-ending ham, part 4

This is what most people think of when you talk about using left-over ham.  I used that ham bone with a lot of meat on it, and it turned out especially good this time.  I made corn bread with it, because nutritionally it's good for you, and I thought all that yellow would be cheerful on a dreary winter day.

Crock Pea Soup

1 lb yellow split peas, rinsed
1 ham bone
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 1/2 qt water

Put all ingredients into a crock-pot.  Cook on low 8 - 10 hours, or until peas are very soft.  (If they are not soft, put it on high for a bit to speed it up.)

Before serving, remove bone and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Leftover freeze well.

Results:
Everybody liked it, but I knew it was time for a break from ham when my husband said "Is this pig dead yet?"  The rest of the ham was in the freezer by then, so it could wait for another time.