12/9/08

Rolled Shortbread Cookies

Christmas is coming, and I've started doing some baking.  This is one of my favorite recipes that I make every year.  They are shortbread cookies, so they melt in your mouth.  Because they look like sugar cookies, that is usually a surprise.  Saturday night I made a batch to take to church on Sunday evening.  I had to take something else because they mysteriously disappeared.  As my husband said "These cookies are the best that I've ever tasted that look like this."

Rolled Shortbread

1 c  cornstarch
1 c  icing sugar
2 c  flour
1 1/2 c  soft butter

Sift together the dry ingredients.  Blend in butter with a wooden spoon until a smooth dough forms.  It will be quite soft.  Chill 30 - 60 minutes.  Roll 1/4" thick and cut into shapes with cookie cutters.  Bake 300 for 15 - 20 min, or until edged are lightly browned.  Makes about 3 dozen cookies depending on size.

Decorate with icing after they cool, or sprinkly with colored sugar before baking.