9/23/08

Secret to perfect pie crust

ssshh  ...  I am about to reveal an old family secret.

My mom is pretty famous for her pies.  They always have a perfect flaky pastry that doesn't always come with pie.  Lots of people that are excellent bakers have trouble with pie crust.  Luckily, my mom passed on her secret recipe to me, and now I can share it with you.


The secret to perfect pastry:




Crisco shortening.  (don't use lard or butter)








Use the recipe that's on the box.









Leave big chunks of shortening in mix.










Use lots of flour. 










Be gentle and roll it out the first time - if you use lots of flour it shouldn't stick.  DON'T KNEAD THE DOUGH.  IT IS NOT BREAD.

It's okay if it doesn't work out the first time.  Practice makes perfect.  If your family gets sick of pie, you can always give them away.  This will make you popular.