10/31/08

Keeping Kids Busy

Yesterday afternoon I had eight kids in my house.  Since I usually only have four, that was a lot for me.  Luckily, play dough came to the rescue.  We haven't had any in a while, so I whipped up a new batch, and it kept the kids constructively occupied for hours.  Of course, nothing feels better than warm play dough.

Play Dough

2 tbsp oil
1/2 c salt
2 c hot water
2 c flour
1 tsp alum

Heat oil, salt and water in a medium saucepan with food coloring.  Stir over medium-high heat until all the salt is dissolved.  It should almost come to a boil, but not quite.

Remove from heat and stir in flour and alum.  When it is cool enough to handle, knead to the desired consistency.

I've seen other recipes for play dough that had kool-aid in them.  These look and smell great, but personally, I don't want my play dough to smell good enough to eat.