6/16/08

Ultimate Tea Biscuits


Many years ago, when I was eight, my mother decided to teach me how to cook.  She got me a spiral notebook to write down all my recipes.  I have a suspicion that it may have also been a sly attempt to get me to have extra handwriting practice, but she hasn't admitted anything.

"Biscuits Supreme" was the first recipe that I copied into my notebook.  I made them to go with chile.  Today, it was one of the first recipes that I taught my daughter, and I still make it often.  These are the best tea biscuits, great for a tea party or with soup or stew for supper.


Biscuits Supreme

2 c flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
2 tsp sugar
1/2 c shortening
2/3 c milk

Sift dry ingredients into a bowl.  Cut in shortening with a knife or a fork.  Leave pieces of shortening so it looks crumbly - this is what makes them flaky.  Add milk.  Mix lightly, knead gently 10 - 12 strokes.  Roll on a floured surface and cut.

Place touching each other on ungreased baking sheet.  Bake 10 - 12 minutes at 450.

Yum Yum